Friday, June 15, 2007

Heat waves

As I come from a relatively cold country, Delhi's unexpected cold winter was perfectly manageable. By contrast, I had a tough time surviving during the hot season as my body was exposed to 46+ degrees. Heat waves are taken seriously in India and, on some occasions, I was recommended to stay inside as "the heat could make you drop dead on the street". Unfortunately, due to the high temperatures, a cable melted in my street depriving me from electricity and hence from must-have fans…

Health advices

According to the Red Cross, excessive heat has caused more deaths in recent years than all other weather events, including floods. Young, old or overweight people are at the highest risk.

Stay healthy by following a few simple rules: 
-Drink plenty of water
-Replace salt and minerals
-Stay indoors as much as possible
-Limit exposure to the sun
-Dress in lightweight, loose-fitting and light-coloured clothes that cover as much skin as possible
-Avoid strenuous work during the hottest part of the day

5 comments:

Jude said...

hey elise, just happened to visit blog again. how are things going? Still in Delhi?

Cava said...

Please, upload your blog. I am Italian and I live in Delhi. If you want to see some pictures of Indian cities you can visit my blog:
ilcava.blogspot.com

katztales said...

Know what you mean - we're in Malaysia and after a decade + we can't cope with cold climates anymore . Give me monsoon and humid hot summers anytime!

jeetu said...

hi! i recently across your blog.... i am lso going for my summers training with few students of Cornell.... can u suggest sone tips.......
with best wishes
thanks for loving my country......

Indiafreak said...

Currently in Belgium... Freezing cold!