Friday, September 02, 2005

02/09 Alone


September 2d! Time to split! The other Belgian student is going to Gurgaon and I'm finally heading for Bangalore… Alone!

I couldn’t wait for this moment…

At the airport, most people were obviously Indians. A few tourists were also waiting for their plane. They were wearing Indian clothes. They looked ridiculous! Not because of the clothes, but because it looked so fake… Wearing Indian clothes on special occasions is great to feel involved. I, myself, plan to wear the saree for the Onam festival. But at the airport, no way! So, I tried to stay as far as possible from them. I didn’t want to be a part of the “tourist group”. I m not a tourist anymore. I feel like a regular student going for the first time to the University. Expecting to meet nice and open-minded people…

The flight was so smooth! Who told me that indian internal flight were dangerous? Come on! No accident for years! At least, that s what the university professor I met in the plane told me…

Bangalore, here I come! I wasn’t really homesick when I arrived in the Sillicon Valley of India. A typical Belgian rain was waiting for me ;o) Lucky me!

IIMB is quite far from the airport. Took a cab, saw a small part of Bangalore, reached the Institute, met a guy from the exchange program office, got my hostel room and visited the campus… Quite fast!

The good news is that all blocks were full… So I ended up in the executive block which is the really best one! ;o) And guess what… My closest roommate is a guy! We ll have to share the bathroom. My room is quite neat. But please, forget western standards… The mattress is 1-inch high! I ll get used to it… But don't even want to talk about the bathroom.

I really wanted to see the city. One of my Indian friends told me he was going to pick me up at IIMB… Nice! But the campus is so big and confusing. It took me 20 minutes to get to the entrance gate (Crappy orientation skills!). Then he came… by bike! Me? On such a vehicule? In India? Under the rain? For info, I had never been on a bike in my life. At least, I wore a helmet...

The traffic is not as bad as in Mumbai. But driving like crazy under heavy rain is not exactly the best idea I could have had. We had to stop a few times cos there were waves of rain on the streets. Wouldn’t have made much sense to continue… So, I asked him to bring me back to IIMB. First day in Bangalore, the end!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the road on your first night? No rest? No adaptation period? Don’t forget to breathe ;)

antoine said...

Passé une excellente nuit dans mon lit tout moelleux… Jalouse? ;o)

xavier said...

One of my friends took part in an exchange in India. She started crying when she saw her room and the bathroom… ;) India was just killing her nerves. The only thing she had in mind… When do I come back to Belgium?