Friday, August 05, 2005

Why IIMB as Erasmus exchange program destination?

In December '04, I had to choose my Erasmus (Exchange student program) destination. Among dozens of universities, I ultimately picked the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore.

Why India?

I wanted an English-speaking and exotic country. There were two destinations left: Thailand and India. I picked India for its economic potential and dynamism.

Why IIM Bangalore?

IIMB is one of the best IIM's in India (second one after IIMA based on most rankings). I didn’t select IIMA mainly because of its location. There are plenty of places to visit around Bangalore and the weather is a lot more tolerable than in Ahmedabad.

You might want to check other posts to have more information about MY life in India. Stressing on “my” is important as every exchange student will have his own perception/experien
ce of the country.

I would like to add two warnings:
1) Most Exchange Comittees will tell you that India is not an easy destination. Some students have a tough time adapting to the country. In my year, one of the exchange students stayed three days at IIMB and decided to go back home.
2) If your English level is low, be aware that the Indian accent can be quite strong and you might even find difficult to understand some of the professors.

And the other way around? You want to study Business/Finance in Belgium? The Solvay Business School Master in Management was ranked 3rd in finance by the Financial Times Masters in the Management European Ranking 2005.

14 comments:

RK said...

:-) Very informative and instructional post.

There is a reason you are in this world and here in India. I don't know whether you'll pick McKinsey or Lehman Brothers or a Non-Profit in China. But whatever you pick, you'll do an absolutely amazing job.

My only wish is that you include i) a job in India and ii)a Non-Profit in India to your list.

BTW, I don't buy your argument of "Why China and not India". I hope we could have another conversation some time.

RK said...

What does Erasmus mean? I tried googling but I couldn't understand your usage of the word.

RK said...

Elise, I don't see any post about status of girl child in India

elodie said...

hello from belgium. i am not in our bschool but one of my friend tell me about your blog. i want to go in india but i am a bit scared that i might not be able to manage it. you seem to do very well compare with some people who i know and who came to India. your blog encourage me to try the journey. keep writing... tks!

DelorumRex said...

wonderful blog, be well and be at peace.
From the States.

thomas said...

nice blog! planning to go to india... a few thing prevents me to do so... diseases, standards of living, animals, bugs... it freak me out but really want to go. many of us think of it but only a few dare to go for a long period. you did it and you seem to really enjoy. i have to do my choice soon. wish me luck!

nath said...

englais pas top. pas tout compris. l inde me tente bien. ms g la trouille des bestioles. tu geres cmt?

ju said...

oui, non, oui, non... arrive pas a faire mon choix. suis pas a solvay non plus ms sympa le blog pr faire connaissance ac l'inde. ds mon cas, peux slmt partir a calcutta. a suivre...

fabienne said...

I read a large part of the blog. I see ur great enthusiasm. But going to india must require a lot of energy. not an easy erasmus. how do u handle at the same time, the academic pressure, the language, the crowd, the lack of appropriate food, the complete unknown, the diseases, the poverty, the stares (at you), the weather, the chaos, the bugs,... probably forget some of them... how did you prepare ur journey? have you stayed abroad before? have you been to any other emerging countries before? what about your family, relatives... not too worried? never feel homesick? what s the website you used to meet indians before your trip? i never heard about anyone making local friends before leaving belgium. great initiative... take care

alain said...

almost forgot about your blog... shame on me ;o) glad to see u have a wonderful time there, in this mysterious country... fewer and fewer posts. busy life, i guess... enjoy!

pierre said...

hey sweetie! on s'ennuie pas en Inde... ca manque un peu d'updates ms ds l'ensemble, ton blog vaut la peine d'etre lu par tte personne voulant connaitre le monde. Enjoy tes qq derniers mois! au fait, t'as un peu pris le soleil??

rahul mulchandani said...

Since many are interested in coming to India, a suggestion for visitors is that you should first know about India, know Indians over the web and then come to India and take their help , guidance and suggestions over here. Or else you shall be utterly confused. India is too diverse,polluted, hot and too crowded for any westerner.!!

For those who come well prepared Its love at first sight

Anonymous said...

Hi, first of all thanks so much for cheering your experience in India. I´ve been always interested in India and recently I´ve been researching for an Erasmus in India. How can I get an Erasmus scholarship to India? I am from Spain.
Thanks so much.

Alicia

Robins Tomar said...

I love this blog.